Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Why effective communication is important for me:

Can anyone of us honestly claim to have never experienced problems in communicating with others?

I have often misheard or misunderstood instructions or requests from others before, causing me to waste my time doing unnecessary work and frustrating the people who were relying on my help. I have often tried to tell my friends an idea or an opinion and ended up getting only a confused look in response. I have sometimes tried to point out small mistakes that my friends have made, only to have them take it as criticism and respond angrily. Situations like these are why I believe effective communication is important for me. Better communication skills will surely be able to help me avoid misunderstandings and also help me convey my opinions more clearly.

Every day, I talk and interact with other people. I talk to my friends and family. As a student, I often have class assignments that require me to work in pairs or groups with other students. Even when the assignment is a solo task, I may still end up discussing it with other students to share ideas or ask for opinions on my answers. After I graduate, I will have to apply for a job, and I will likely have to compete with many other applicants. In a short job interview, I will have to convince the interviewer that I am a better choice than the other applicants. After I get a job, I will have to work well with other fellow employees. Communication is part of my daily life now, and it will be equally important in my future. Knowing how to communicate effectively will surely help me greatly throughout life.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Joshua,
    indeed it is frustrating when people misunderstood the messages that we are putting across and worse still, react negatively to it.

    However, I do find your post a little too generic. It lacks that personal touch or experience that may be able to reinforce your point. Maybe you could share a little experience on how your idea was misinterpreted and led to undesired tensions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joshua,

    I'm sure it must have felt awful when people take your good intentions as something against them. I believe after mastering the skills of effective communication you would then be able to convey such comments/suggestions in a more diplomatic manner. In that way, perhaps it would sound more accepting to the other party.

    It is of no doubt that communication is integrated into our daily lives, and I think that effective communication would not only bring us further in life but also bridge the human to human gap in terms of interaction and understanding one another better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very clear and concise post, Joshua. You hone right in on the essence of the issue: communication needs. The examples you introduce shed light on the topic well, and your explanation that follows, albeit a bit dry, is fluently and appropriately expressed.

    In fact, my thought as I reread this is that your exceptional skill with English will come in handy to someone in our class who desperately lies in wait for a blogging buddy.

    Thanks for this effort and in advance for others!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amos,

    I would've posted an example if I had thought of one. Unfortunately, I couldn't think of any specific occasion, and I didn't want to spend my weekend trying to dig up memories of past misunderstandings. I prefer thinking about happy things, like chocolate and rainbows and shiny pieces of metal. And chocolate. Did I mention chocolate? Mmmm, chocolate. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Joshua,

    Nothing can be even worse than when talking to people, but at the end of the day, they can not understand me. It's not only a problem of language barrier but the problem of effectiveness in communication as well.

    Interpersonal skills are also very important. You know, the most interesting thing in my family is that two of my brothers seem to be more likely to listen and obey me than my parents. That's just because I understand them more than my parents. Extremely important, general speaking !

    Wish you the best mood on the way of learning effective communication.

    Thanks for you sharing!

    ReplyDelete