Sunday, September 6, 2009

Application Letter

I tried searching for internships and engineering jobs first, but failed to find any suitable for myself. So, I'm applying to this instead. It's a position for a member of a service crew in the food and beverage industry. They are looking for both temporary staff and permanent staff, and I am applying for a position as a member of the temporary staff.

The job requires me to be bilingual, pleasant, and outgoing. My responsibilities would include handling the preparation of food and beverages, handling cash register transactions, and maintaining high standards of customer service, product quality, and cleanliness. Although the posting states that experience as well as Singaporean citizenship or permanent residentship is preferred, these do not appear to be hard requirements.

Well, this is my application letter. I know it's short, but that's because I lack work experience and relevant activities, and thus have little to include. Until now, I didn't really realise how important CCA activities were for job applications. Well, I still have over two and a half years in NUS left before I graduate, so I'm going to make a serious effort to participate more in that time. :D

____________________________________________________________________


To: leslie.han@renaldosgroup.com


September 6, 2009

Dear Sir/Madam,

Looking through job postings on the 88db website, I saw a post regarding openings for service crew members in your company. I am writing to apply for a position as a temporary staff member.

I am fluent in both English and Mandarin, having not only a high school level education in both languages, but also daily experience in conversing in English and Mandarin. In addition, I am also capable of conversing in Malay as well as understanding spoken Hokkien. My grasp of these different languages will help me understand requests and orders from the customers well, allowing me to serve them better.

Being a fast learner, I am confident that, despite not having any prior work experience in this field, I will be able to quickly master the skills needed for the job.

I hope to hear from you soon. I can be contacted at the phone number and email address listed below.

Yours sincerely,
Joshua Chng
#05-214, Blk 5,
Ghim Moh Road,
Singapore 270005
Ph: 90947944
E-mail: ruinicwinter@gmail.com

4 comments:

  1. Hi Joshua,

    I have to disagree that it is difficult to find an Engineering job/internship--there's so many of them! It doesn't have to necessarily be a job that you can take up IMMEDIATELY but it should be a job that you should be able to apply for when you graduate with your ______ Engineering degree.

    Honestly, I don't think that one needs to submit a resume or application letter to apply for a part-time F&B service crew. They normally just require an interview to have a rough idea about your manners, personality and language capabilities. So having an application letter for these types of jobs might just be a tad too much.

    Pei En

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joshua,

    I agree on your point that besides academic studies, work experience and extra curricular activities are equally important in making a better impression of ourselves. I too, when writing my cover letter and resume, found it hard as I have had limited work experiences.

    On the side note, I do believe that you have much more potential than applying for a service crew position which even secondary school students are able to apply during vacations. Don't limit your potential.

    Cheers
    Amos

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Pei En: I found plenty of openings for mechanical engineers and electrical engineers, but I'm taking bioengineering. I couldn't find any openings for that.

    Part of the problem, though, is that i'm only in my second year and all the subjects I took in my first year were basics. I think all engineering students take the same modules in the first year. I haven't really gotten into the bioengineering modules yet. This semester is, in fact, the first semester in which I'm taking a BN module, and it's mostly just an introduction to bioengineering. So, even if I did find a bioengineering job advertisement, I wouldn't know what to write in response to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Joshua,
    I do understand how you feel with regards to the lack of jobs that are suited for your course of study, at least I didn't manage to find any that require a Mech. Engine degree.

    At least what I did was to look for jobs under other categories, like teaching for me, to fulfill the requirements of this exercise. I really feel you can do better then applying to be part of a service crew.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete