Thursday, November 12, 2009

It's almost over, eh?

Earlier this year, I failed to register for CS1102C due to timetable clashes with other modules. After swearing a bit and complaining online to my friends, I remembered an email I received from whoever it is who sends all those emails, informing students about this module. So then I thought, "Heck, why not? Professional Communication sounds like a useful thing to learn."

One semester later, I feel I've learned plenty. We all had to write personal statements, resumes, application letters, emails, proposals... We learned more than just the theory of writing well. We had to put it into practice, and I think that's actually one of the most important things we gained from this module. We gained experience and a measure of confidence. We had a chance to see where we went right, and we had our problems pointed out by nice, friendly people who didn't laugh at us for failing. And, well, now that I've made two presentations without having a heart attack, I'm sure I won't be as nervous the next time I have to make another.

Speaking of the presentation... I learned some helpful presentation tips from this module. I used to think that longer was better. I thought the slides were supposed to be the main point of the presentation, and the speaker was just there to read them and say anything else that couldn't fit into the slides. Knowing that simplicity is better is definitely going to help me the next time I need to present anything.

I think we also had plenty of practice criticising people in these past weeks. We had to comment on our classmates' work plenty of times, and of course, if we wanted to point out any faults, we had to try to do it in a way that wouldn't make the recipient angry or defensive. I think this also a skill that will be very helpful in the future.

This class was surprisingly fun for a module named "Professional Communication". The word "professional" makes me think of uncomfortable suits and paperwork, so I was expecting a serious, boring class. I'm glad I was wrong. :D

8 comments:

  1. Hello Joshua,

    I am sure all of us have learned plenty from this module, for we had to apply what we've absorbed. I agree that it is particularly interesting that we have to leave comments on people's blog (like what I am doing now) and have to do so in a really nice manner.

    You've the ability to speak well, and you're good with words. I am sure with the skills you've learned, equipped with the good language proficiencies you already have, you will have a bright future. (Be sure to look for job positions that match your ability; you're much better than you think you are.) I am glad to have worked with you.

    Regards,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very much better than you might think, Joshua. No flipping burgers on your prospective resume (inside joke now)!

    Thanks for your hard work, classroom insights and for this reflective post. I'm glad we didn't have to wear suits to learn and practice skills that would be useful for you.

    Best of luck in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joshua,

    I liked the way you behaved your true self in the class although sometimes it sounded to me that you were not quite interested into some topics.However,I knew it was the real you and I liked you showed your real emotions and it was always original.

    Glad to get to know you in this course:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Joshua,
    I think the rest have made a point about your behaviour in class and I would say that my perception of you did change over the semester. You did speak out more over the later half of the course and showed the amount of critical thinking that you have done and active listening too. Keep it up!

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a suit, so I'm very glad we didn't need those. :D

    Sorry if I sometimes seemed uninterested. I'm not very good at listening. It's one of the areas I still need to work on. I tend to get distracted by thoughts of other things, like assignments from other modules.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Joshua,

    Don't worry of not taking CS1102c, I'm taking it this semester and it's a really demanding module. I think it's actually a blessing in disguise that you're able to take ES2007s instead.

    I'm glad you're able to learn from this experiences. For me, I guess I do learn a lot from you as well. You think critically and is able voice out which helps us to think critically as well.

    Glad I'm able to work with you too. All the best for your exams.

    Cheers
    Amos Lim

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still planning to take it next semester, or the semester after that. I might not have time for it next semester, since I'll be taking Japanese 2. Demanding or not, it's still something I'm interested in learning (but Japanese 2 has higher priority, since if I don't take it next semester I'll be seperated from the classmates I had this semester, haha).

    Thanks for the encouragement, and yeah, I'm glad to be able to work with you and Joel too. You've been great partners. c:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it possible you produce others a lot of recommendations approximately Ergo newborn baby transporter? You need a something like this. Ya think that may be RIGHT to make sure you request?

    Various purchasers put into use all the ERGObaby for a little children like found just a little overweight and additionally talked about the software ergo baby carrier prepared your global about impact. It's always lauded like ideal for toting your baby at the same time going through just about anything right from spouse and children chores to make sure you choosing all the car to make sure you perusing museums.

    A small number of reviewers came across which usually although it is without question ergo baby particularly snug to them, many times most of the ergo baby carrier sale little children are really a amount difficult because the type having to deal with your child oriented towards you will and not just apart. Various came across it was eventually put together just for older most people, versatile individuals came across it was eventually more suitable worthy diminished individuals.

    Balancing for located at underneath 3 unwanted weight, all the ERGObaby transporter don't contribute useless wholesale and additionally extra fat in your direction. In addition it comes with superior occurrence space-age foam on the shoulder straps to assure it certainly can't reason useless demand. We also have the equivalent space-age foam on the waistline belt just for incorporated consolation. Purchasers came across all the ERGObaby newborn baby transporter particularly snug and additionally tell you a top-notch-quality timber awesome sustain. All the bonnet is as well quite often talked about in the form of awesome option. Various use this approach " up " at the time most of the newborn baby crumbles sleeping, or possibly on the temperatures, and additionally tell you they are go around for hours and additionally not have any situations.

    Regards a whole lot!

    ReplyDelete