Thursday, November 5, 2009

Time to criticise myself. Yay!

Well, I think the presentation went rather well. I think we managed to convey our points to the audience.

Our slides were actually rather simple. Apart from the first slide, which included a picture as a background, we used a plain background for the rest of our slides. We felt that fancy designs can be a bit distracting at times. We did, however, include photographs and screenshots to illustrate the problems we mentioned. I'm sure those pictures helped us explain our points much better than we could have done with words alone.

I felt that our slides contained most of the important information we needed to say, but judging by the amount of questions everyone else had after our presentation... Well, it looks like I was wrong. Hahaha. Still, I don't think we did badly in answering the questions. Most of what they asked were questions we had already considered.

Making suitable eye-contact was difficult, and I don't think I did it well. I realised that I had actually been focusing more on looking at Mr Blackstone's reactions, rather than looking at the whole audience. I suppose the reason is because he's the one grading us, so I was more concerned about his thoughts than about the reactions of all our comrades waiting to interrogate us until we cry.

I had to look back at the slides quite often, but that was mostly because I had to use the laser pointer to draw the audience's attention to specific parts of the example pictures provided. That's not something I can do without looking at the screen. I think, however, that I may have been a bit too rushed showing those examples. Each picture had one important things I wanted to show, and I used the pointer to highlight them while talking about them, but now I think maybe I should have let the audience have a bit more time to look at the rest of the screenshots. Although those other parts aren't really relevant, I think maybe the audience would still have been curious and might have wanted to have a better look.

Overall, I think I didn't do badly, but I realise there are many areas where I still need improvement.

7 comments:

  1. Dear Joshua,

    I think the presentation was persuasive and well presented. Congratulation!!!

    Well, I did not notice anything unusual with your eye contact when you presented. I don’t think it was a problem actually.

    Some of my suggestions to make your persuasive presentation even better are:
    1.It would be great if you could try to engage the audience a little more.
    2.You should speak slower when mentioning important points to give your audience some time to think and agree with you.
    3.You could use a wide variety of facial expression and gestures to explain and convey information to your audience. Non-verbal communication is essential, right?

    Cheers
    Van

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Joshua, for your honest and detailed reflection. I did note that you were looking at me a lot, and I suspected that my "ultimate role" had something to do with that. Still, I think it was not bad to look toward the back of the room. At least you seemed to be engaging the whole group, your voice projected very well and you were able to communicate your ideas to the whole room.

    In any case, I'll give more comments later. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joshua,

    First off, I think you showed great familiarity with the subject you presented. You also had good voice projection and exerted suitable emphasis on points you wish to highlight.
    About your eye contact, I'm not sure if this was just me but I think you didn't attempt to make eye contact with the audience because you sort of just glance through the whole group. Maybe it's your spectacles, I don't know. Hehe.

    Also, during the beginning of the presentation, you were actually staring at the monitor a lot (at the desk). Maybe you were trying to avoid looking at the projections? Other than that, I also noticed that you were folding half your arms during the presentation (half meaning just one hand). Again, I'm not very sure about others but I thought it was a very 'reserved' action, as if you are not welcoming comments from the audience.

    Nonetheless, you answered questions from the floor pretty well especially when the questions posted were almost interrogative.

    Lastly, I want to applaud your group for being so clam despite missing a member first 10-15 minutes. I would have freaked out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joshua,

    Firstly, you had good voice projection and you had good knowledge on the slides you were presenting.

    However, like Audrey, I thought you were a bit over-reliant on the computer instead of the slides. It became a little distracting as you turned back rather often to glance at the monitor. Perhaps you should try to refrain from doing so, or keep it to the very minimal.

    And also, I realised you were kind of restricted in ur standing position. Perhaps it would have been better if you had stood out a little more and be closer to the audience.

    Yupp, nonetheless I thought Team Rocks did fine. The slides were simple, concise and good use of visual aids (pictures). There was also relatively smooth transition between group members during the presentation.

    Good Job! (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the feedback~!

    @Van: To be honest, I'm really not sure what sort of gestures I could use to communicate. I didn't have anything that needed miming or acting out, and I thought too much movement would look like I was nervous and fidgeting. That was part of the reason why I was standing with the folded arms posture, actually. I don't really know what else to do with my arms while talking. Hahaha.

    @Audrey: Folding my arm is a normal posture for me, actually. I do know it makes me look reserved or defensive, but it's a bit of a habit, so I tend to do it without noticing. Sorry about that.

    And yeah, I know I'm not good at making eye contact. Looking straight at people's faces tends to make me feel rather uncomfortable.

    @sherlynn: I didn't realise I was looking at the computer too often. I'll try to remember not to do that the next time I have to make a presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could you give me some advice about Ergo baby carrier? I need one like this. Do you think is it OK to order?

    Many customers used the ERGObaby for their children once they got a bit heavier and said it ergo baby carrier made a new of difference. It is acknowledged as perfect for carrying your child while doing anything from household tasks to taking the bus to checking out museums.

    A few reviewers found that whilst it will probably be ergo baby very comfortable for them, sometimes their ergo baby carrier sale children are a bit uncomfortable due to the design of having the baby facing you rather than out. Many found it was built for tall people, while others found it was better fitted to shorter users.

    Weighing in at less than 3 pounds, the ERGObaby carrier won't add unnecessary bulk and weight to you. It also has high solidity foam in the connectors to ensure you won't cause unnecessary strain. There is also the same foam in the midsection belt for added comfort. Customers found the ERGObaby baby carrier very comfortable and say it provides great support. The hood is also often brought up as a great feature. Many put this up once their baby falls in bed, or in the heat, and say they can walk all night and have no issues.

    Thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete